Please note

Because of the lack of published trowel and masonry tool histories, the information here is based on other sources that may be less reliable and certainly are incomplete. These include eBay and tools that I purchase myself that are the starting points for my research. I will write what I know as I learn it. If what you read here interests you, please check back often and look for revisions and corrections. Scanned catalogs are either mine or by Rose Antique Tools and used with permission, and are on Google Docs as pdf files. A few are links to other websites. Your photos and information are welcome. Please click on any picture to enlarge it. Comments are welcome, but any with links will be deleted as possible spam.

Saturday, July 4, 2015

Rubbing Bricks

John Stortz & Son rubbing brick
A concrete rubbing brick, also called a rub brick, is used by masons and stone workers for rubbing lumps and form marks from concrete. The stone is extra-coarse silicon carbide, and diagonal flutes make a shearing action and carry away debris. Smooth rubbing bricks are used by other trades to dressing grinding wheels and cleaning or scouring metal castings.

This vintage rubbing brick was made by John Stortz and Son of Philadelphia, PA. The stone is reversible, with both fluted and smooth sides, and the holder is cast iron. Modern rubbing bricks have a plastic handle fused to the brick, or no handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment