|Concrete World, May 1915|
|Abram Cement Tool Co. building, 2300 Michigan Ave.|
John's brother Ira Martin Abram (1867-1942) invented the company's long-handled tools with articulating joints. Ira was president of Abram Cement Silo & Construction Co. of Dugger, Indiana, next to Greene County where the Abrams grew up. Abram Cement Tool Co. was established in Dugger, as a successor to Twentieth Century Manufacturing Co., 1651 Lowe St., Chicago Heights, Illinois. Later advertisements do not mention Dugger.
|American Builder, Vol. 32 Jan. 1922|
John D. Abram had these patents:
Horse collar, US 993,137
Tamping machine, US 1,677,422
Tamping machine, US 1,882,681
Ira M. Abram had these patents:
Trowel, US 1,074,646 (with Joseph E. Runner)
Surfacer, US 1,590,342
The following biography is from The City of Detroit, Michigan, 1701-1922, Volume 3, 1922.
JOHN D. ABRAM. In commercial circles of Detroit John D. Abram occupies a foremost position as the head of the Abram Cement Tool Company, engaged in the manufacture of cement finishing tools, a product of his own inventive genius. This is one of the largest industrial enterprises in its lines in the city with a large domestic trade, while its products are also shipped to many European countries. In the control of his interests Mr. Abram has displayed marked executive ability and initiative spirit and success in substantial measure has rewarded his labors. He was born in Greene county, Indiana, a son of Frank H. and Margaret (Christie) Abram and a representative of an old American family. The father at first followed agriculture pursuits and subsequently engaged in the building of bridges in Indiana, attaining a position of prominence in that connection.
Following his graduation from the high school at Worthington, Indiana, John D. Abram there became connected with mercantile interests, with which he was identified for three years, and then went to Nebraska. Locating in Custer county, he acquired a section of land and engaged in stock raising, continuing active along that line for three years. On the expiration of that period he disposed of his interests and erected a hotel in a western town. This he later sold, and removing to Tekamah, Nebraska, he there entered the lumber and coal business, with which he was identified for fifteen years. In 1905 he came to Detroit and was employed by the Pearson & Hough Company until the 1st of May, 1916, when he established his present business as a manufacturer and dealer in cement finishing tools, conducting his interests under the style of the Abram Cement Tool Company, with offices at 3818 Grand River Avenue. These tools are manufactured from Mr. Abram’s own patent and have revolutionized the cement tool business. The prime principle upon which they work is an automatic double action, which presents the tool from digging into the cement. As the value of the output has become recognized his patronage has increased and his trade now covers every state in the Union as well as extending into Canada and many European countries. He has direct exporting connections in New York city and also maintains a direct agency at Dundee, Scotland. During the progress of the World war Mr. Abram supplied large quantities of those tools to the United States government, having a standing contract to ship a certain quantity of tools monthly, but on the day the armistice was signed he voluntarily stopped work on the contract, thus saving the government additional expense. While engaged in this work he received an unsolicited order from a firm in the Argentine Republic, calling for forth-five thousand dollars worth of cement tools, but fearing that the tools were destined for Germany, Mr. Abram laid the matter before the United States government, which confirmed his suspicions and warmly commended him for his public-spirited action in the matter. It is needless to add that Mr. Abram refused to execute the order, thus giving unmistakable proof of his intense loyalty and patriotism. He is an astute, fair-sighted business man with the ability to control extensive interests and his business activities have ever measured up with the principles of truth and honor.
On the 24th of June, 1897, Mr. Abram was united in marriage to Miss Luella M. Houston and their many admirable traits of character have endeared them to a large circle of friends in this city. They are earnest members of the Christian church and guide their lives by its teachings. Mr. Abram is deeply interested in all that pertains to the welfare and progress of Detroit and is the president of the Builders Show Association, of which he was one of the organizers and which, owing to the liberality of Mr. Abram and other public-spirited citizens, has become a successful and popular institution, although at its inception it experienced many vicissitudes. His connection with any undertaking insures a prosperous outcome of the same, for it is in his nature to carry forward to successful completion whatever he undertakes. His initiative spirit and notable ability have carried him into important relations and while attaining financial independence he has also been a factor in promoting the industrial development of Detroit, in which city he is widely known and highly esteemed.
|Engineering & Cement World, 1 Feb. 1918|
|Abram Cement Tool employees, Stanley Masulis at far left|