|Staatsburg No. 113 curbing tool|
John H. Bodenstein (1823-1875), a native of Germany, made ice tools in Staatsburg from 1858 to 1875. After his death, sons John George Bodenstein (1850-1935) and Henry Bodenstein (c. 1852-1934) ran the business as J.G. Bodenstein & Brother through at least 1892. The partnership was dissolved in the 1890s, and John G. continued as J.G. Bodenstein & Co. In 1920 they were also using Staatsburg Ice Tool Works. By 1936, the name was Staatsburg Tool Corp.
John George Bodenstein Jr. (1884-1965) continued the business until his retirement in 1957, when his nephew George N. Bodenstein (1904-1985) took it over. According to an ad in "Hardware Age" in 1970, Staatsburg Tool Corp made cement and plaster tools and a scaling hammer. The company's buildings and all equipment were sold at auction 14 July, 1984. The last mailing address was in nearby Sharon, CT. The New York corporation was dissolved in 1995.
The factory was 2 buildings on River Rd. at Church St., in the center of town. The original plant dated to 1888, and was destroyed by fire in 1919. It was rebuilt in 1920. For a list of all the company's equipment in 1984, see here.
|Employee Cecil Parker, Bodenstein Ice Tool factory, 1890-1900|
The Bodenstein family were prolific inventors, including ice harvesting and cutting devices and cooking vessels in their patents:
Henry Bodenstein, 11 patents (including 1 name misspelling)
Antoinette P. Bodenstein, 1 patent
John George Bodenstein, 5 patents (including misspellings)
John G. Bodenstein & Jr., 4 patents