Please note

Because of the lack of published trowel and masonry tool histories, the information here is based on other sources that may be less reliable and certainly are incomplete. These include eBay and tools that I purchase myself that are the starting points for my research. I will write what I know as I learn it. If what you read here interests you, please check back often and look for revisions and corrections. Scanned catalogs are either mine or by Rose Antique Tools and used with permission, and are on Google Docs as pdf files. A few are links to other websites. Your photos and information are welcome. Please click on any picture to enlarge it. Comments are welcome, but any with links will be deleted as possible spam.

Saturday, October 26, 2013

A Nearly Forgotten Tool, the Indent Roller

The indent roller is used to add a waffle texture to troweled concrete, usually curbing or entire sidewalks. The purpose is to create a more slip resistant surface. It's also called an indentation roller, dot roller, imprint roller, curbing roller, spiked roller, and pavement roller. The cylinder may be cast aluminum, brass, or bronze, or iron.
Concrete indent roller for sale in the UK
Alex, Gilchrist  pavement roller advertisement 1905

Vintage Stortz & Son indent roller. Stortz was the last US manufacturer of indent rollers.   
Larger indent roller, unknown maker
Sidewalk dating to 1940-1955, textured with indent roller  

1 comment:

  1. Hi
    A useful site - FYI the link to the Sheffield edge tool makers is to a doc poached from my website - I created the original list from on-line sources, see: - just noted some errors I need to correct..