|Stella Works (picture Don Tyzack)|
The firm operated at Stella Works, Hereford Street, Sheffield, initially using water power from Porter Brook. In 1948 they purchased file manufacturer Ibbotson Brothers & Co. and their Green Lane Works on the River Don. They operated both locations until 1986, when they sold Stella Works and moved to Green Lane Works. In 1987, W.A. Tyzack & Co. took control of rival W. Tyzack, Sons & Turner. A management buy-out in 1989 was followed in just 2 years by receivership, with parts of the business sold internationally.
|W.A. Tyzack & Co. gauging trowel|
A 1968 photograph of Stella Works, just north of the St. Mary's roundabout, is at Picture Sheffield. Stella Works was demolished and the streets reconfigured, and there is a car park on the site. To get a sense of how densely Sheffield factories were built, see this Google Street View of Sylvester Gardens, a few blocks away.
Green Lane Works is being preserved. 2012 photographs of Green Lane Works are at Sheffield History.
|W.A. Tyzack & Co. Ltd Stella Works, Eyre Lane and environs, Sheffield, 1951. This image has been produced from a print marked by Aerofilms Ltd for photo editing. - Britain from Above|