Please note

Because of the lack of published trowel and masonry tool histories, the information here is based on other sources that may be less reliable and certainly are incomplete. These include eBay and tools that I purchase myself that are the starting points for my research. I will write what I know as I learn it. If what you read here interests you, please check back often and look for revisions and corrections. Scanned catalogs are either mine or by Rose Antique Tools and used with permission, and are on Google Docs as pdf files. A few are links to other websites. Your photos and information are welcome. Please click on any picture to enlarge it. Comments are welcome, but any with links will be deleted as possible spam.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Filling Knives and Putty Knives in the United Kingdom

Buck & Hickman, Ltd. 1958 catalogue
The filling knife has a flexible blade to apply plaster, mastic, or a paste as a filler. The traditional filling knife, as made since the 19th century, has a forged steel blade that is ground to a taper, and a bolster that is integral with the blade or pewter, and a hardwood handle.

The clipt point putty knife, for glazing windows, has one curved side and the other has an angled straight edge. It is made the same way as the filling knife, with less of a taper grind.

It is likely that many cutlery makers in Sheffield and elsewhere made filling and putty knives, including R. Mather & Son and Clarkson & Co.  Footprint Tools still makes traditional wood-handled filling knives and putty knives in Sheffield.

Filling knives, Clarkson & Co. (second from right)
Filling knife, clipt point putty knife by Harris 
Filling knife by H. & S.L., Sheffield

No comments:

Post a Comment