Please note

Because of the lack of published trowel and masonry tool histories, the information here is based on other sources that may be less reliable and certainly are incomplete. These include eBay and tools that I purchase myself that are the starting points for my research. I will write what I know as I learn it. If what you read here interests you, please check back often and look for revisions and corrections. Scanned catalogs are either mine or by Rose Antique Tools and used with permission, and are on Google Docs as pdf files. A few are links to other websites. Your photos and information are welcome. Please click on any picture to enlarge it. Comments are welcome, but any with links will be deleted as possible spam.

Saturday, January 9, 2016

Rocker or Western Style Groovers

The conventional concrete groover has the handle on the top of the tool, attached with 2 posts. The rocker groover has a curved shape with the handle projecting from the rear of the tool. Old catalogs did not use the name "rocker groover", and called them jointers or groovers. Rocker groovers are narrower than conventional groovers. They may also be called Western style, depending on the manufacturer, the time period, and area of the country where they are used.

Rocker groovers have been made from cast iron, bronze, brass, aluminum, and possibly zinc. The handles were either wood or cast as one piece with the tool. Like other cement tools, some were identified with a cast number and a pasted-on label which is long gone, leaving us to wonder who the maker was.

F.H. Crafts No. 3D bronze groover

Smith & Holtum No. 027 cast iron groover
Smith & Holtum No. 27 catalog illustration

1 comment:

  1. Hi, any info on CAPAC trowels?